With so many tasty treats, you would be forgiven if you are inclined to give Fido a nibble or two from the table. But owners beware, some treats aren’t just unhealthy — they can be toxic. Here are some to avoid:
Chocolate can cause upset stomachs, heart arrhythmia, panting, abnormal heart rhythm, kidney failure, seizures, and even death if large amounts are consumed. Dark and baking chocolate are the most dangerous, as they contain the largest amounts of methylxanthines, substances toxic to dogs and cats. Caffeine and coffee contain these same substances and should be kept away from your pet.
Xylitol—a sweetener often found in peanut butter and chewing gum—is extremely toxic to dogs and cats, as it can cause extremely low blood sugar, seizures, and liver failure.
Grapes and raisins may be healthy treats for people, but not for our canine
companions. Eating them can result in sudden kidney failure.
Nuts contain high amounts of oils and fats that cause vomiting and diarrhea, and potentially pancreatitis in pets.
Alcohol at adult gatherings might be enjoyable for us, but vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, and respiratory problems could be the result if your dog or cat ingests alcohol of any kind.
It’s also important to remind little trick-or-treaters not to feed candy to pets and to tuck their goodies safely away from their animal friends. If you think your pet may have eaten something toxic, don’t hesitate to call our emergency department at 703-327-0871 or the ASPCA Poison Control Center immediately.
So what can you share with your pets? Check out this amazingly simple Pumpkin treat recipe that only requires 4 ingredients!
- 1 cup greek nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup canned PURE pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
- Water as needed
- 15 minutes of prep time + freeze time
This recipe makes 16 treats if using a standard ice cube tray. Double the recipe if you want more.
- Mix the yogurt, pumpkin, and cinnamon, together. Add a few drops of water as needed if the mixture is too thick.
- Blend everything together in the NutriBullet or a blender. Blend until you get a liquid consistency.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cube tray and freeze for a few hours or until frozen solid.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours or leave them in the freezer overnight.
- TIP: For an easier pouring technique, spoon the pumpkin mixture into a plastic bag and cut a small piece off the corner for a DIY frosting bag!