If your pet is suffering from an animal medical emergency:
- Stay calm.
- Call our 24hr pet emergency hospital at 703-327-0871 AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
- Inform our staff if you will require assistance bringing your pet in from the car.
- Our staff will guide you through the next steps, so you have the opportunity to prepare for your pet’s particular emergency and expedite treatment once you arrive.
Remember, an otherwise friendly pet may be more likely to bite if they are in pain. Use caution when attempting to move or transport your pet.
- If your pet is bleeding, apply firm, direct pressure over the bleeding area to control bleeding. Avoid bandages that cut off circulation.
- Wrap large wounds to keep them clean.
- Minimize movement as much as possible.
Other Ways to help:
- Keep a file with your pet’s records and bring it with you if possible.
- Be a good observer; know when your pet last ate, drank, urinated or defecated.
- Bring a sample of any abnormal stool, vomit, or urine.
- If seizures or fainting occur, time the length of these episodes.
- Bring containers of any possible ingested toxins to the veterinarian.
- Check with us before giving any home remedies or human medications.